|This photo was shown on
Earth Science Picture of the
This sight is probably unusual:
- This viewpoint requires a little bit of effort
to get to so there are not many people who see this
scene in a year.
- The stream must be fairly full. Recent snow
in the area
In a few days, the stream could be just a trickle.
- The stream does not flow very fast
here because the canyon bottom is flat, hence the
water pools and there are no ripples to spoil the
- There was no wind blowing (fairly
unusual for Spring) so no wind ripples to spoil
- Finally, the clear blue skies and late afternoon
sun on the cliffs but deep shadow in the canyon bottom
made the effect
noticeable. We wouldn't have noticed it 30 minutes
earlier, and 15 minutes later it had faded.
Send mail to feedback
with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 1998-2006, Ruth's Waterfalls of the Finger Lakes and Rochester,
NY, All rights reserved
Last modified: 02-Jul-2006